Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Follies

Mary: "Can I get a copy of your insurance card?"

Mr. Card: "Sure... here you go."

Mary: "Um, you told me on the phone that you were with Medicare, but this insurance is Major Illness HMO."

Mr. Card: "Sorry, I must have been confused. Can you still see me?"

Mary: "We need a referral authorization from your internist."

Mr. Card: "They said they'd fax one. It's Dr. Wayoverthere. You didn't get it?"

Mary: "No, let me call them." (dials phone) "Hi, this is Mary, at Dr. Grumpy's. He's a neurologist on the west side? One of Dr. Wayoverthere's patients, Mr. Card, is here, and says you were going to fax a referral?"

Dr. Wayoverthere's staff: "He's lying. He's involved in a legal case, and trying to find a neurologist to say he has problems since he was hit by a kid on a tricycle. We've sent him to 2 neurologists on this side already, who say there's nothing wrong with him."

Mary: "Okay, thank you." (hangs up phone)

Mr. Card: "Is it coming now? Can you see me?"

Mary: "They said they didn't refer you here."

Mr. Card: "Maybe they didn't. I remember now, my attorney sent me. Can you get an authorization from him?"

Mary: "No, your insurance won't accept that. If you or your attorney wants to pay for the visit we can see you, but without an auth from Dr. Wayoverthere we can't see you under your insurance."

Mr. Card: "I'm not going to pay for this. I'm out of here. You guys are trying to pull a fast one on me."

15 comments:

Packer said...

Ready the flamethrowers:

No lawyer I know of would ever stoop to something like this.

a.generic doc said...

About once in a thousand times the hoops insurance companies make people go through turns out to be a good thing.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I know the lawyer involved. I doubt if he did. I think it's all the patient.

clairesmum said...

Glad Mary caught this scammer. I'm betting if she had asked for his lawyer's name, he'd have given you the name of one of those 'advertised on TV" guys!

Mage said...

What an unprintable mess this man is.

bobbie said...

Way to go, Mary!! Nice catch!

ronstew said...

Dr. Wayoverthere's staff deserves some thanks.

was1 said...

y'know it's 99.9% of lawyers that give the good ones a bad name

Anonymous said...

every daY
all day long
and once a night
from dusk to dawn .....

Anonymous said...

Y'sure you didn't misspell "Mr. Cad"? :)

John Woolman said...

As someone with both a medical and a law degree, I'm not at all sure which profession I like least when it's at its worst and prefer when it is at its best. Whip lash injury and similar litigation can bring out the worst in both professions...

Anonymous said...

"You guys are trying to pull a fast one on me."...Projection much?

Hattie said...

Holy...

Mad Jack said...

Ha!
Ha!Ha!
Ha!Ha!Ha!

I love stuff like this. Good catch on the part of all staff members involved.

Geno said...

Maybe only half fast?

 
Locations of visitors to this page